Monday, October 26, 2009

It's love

"I need to feed my hubby so I'm bringing some wings home." I joked with a manager.
"What did you call him?" He had stopped what he was doing just to be able to look at me while he asked this question.
"...Hubby?" I responded. I'll admit, I was a little worried I had said something wrong.
"Does he know you call him that?" He asked.
"Um, I don't think so. I've only really called him that a few times, and usually just when I'm talking to my girlfriends. Why?" I still didn't understand where he was going.
"Good." He said as he turned back to the computer.
"What do you mean; 'good?'"
"I just wouldn't say that around him if I were you."
"He's actually not that kind of guy."
"Well, for his sake, don't say it in front of his friends."

I love my managers, and I love that we're all involved in each other's lives, but sometimes I hate how narrow minded everyone can sometimes be. Most of the people I work with at Hooters are jaded, and with good reason. The male managers are constantly surrounded by whiney, self-absorbed girls; watching them run though boyfriends like they run through pantyhose. Gender stereotyping runs wild in this environment, which is why I sometimes feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

"Hey, the computer didn't print out my meal time start check." I once said to my manager after they revamped our system.
"It doesn't do that anymore. We're saving paper. I thought you of all people would appreciate that."
"What's that supposed to mean."
"Well... er... you know... you're all.... natural."
"... Thanks."

Or my favorite... after a little chat with one of my mangers:
"I know what you are. You're... eclectic." He said, looking very pleased with his vocabulary word. Which was the first word somebody had ever used in the place of the more common adjective that is associated with me... 'weird'. Well, once in high school, a guy I had a crush on said "You're totally different from the way you look like you'd be."

But either way, I've learned to take these as compliments.

Getting back to my main point... the managers are usually jaded, and the girls are usually about as deep as a paper plate. As I left the restaurant, lugging the 20 wings... naked... daytona of course... I dialed my boyfriend's number.

"Hey babe!" Said the cheerful voice on the other line.
"Hi hunni!" and the normal pleasantries ensued.
"Something kind of funny happened today." I began.
"Like what?"
"Well, I called you my hubby when I was talking to my manager and he told me never to tell you that I used that word to describe you."
"Awwwww you called me your hubby!"

That was his reaction. And it was pure glee.

When I arrived at his place of work, wings in hand, his coworker called out, "Hey Kevin! Your wifey is here!"

Ha.

2 comments:

BB said...

aw that's cute.

UPrinting Reviews said...

I thought this story is going to be awful from the way it started out. But it's actually very sweet. Wifey and hubby... not a bad pet name huh? :)